Electronic Submission Process
- All doctoral students (except students receiving Doctor of Musical Arts degrees in composition) must have their thesis, essay, or dissertation published/microfilmed, in addition to submitting paper copies to the library for binding, as it is part of their degree requirements.
- Publishing/microfilming is done by ProQuest/UMI in Ann Arbor, MI.
- Students fulfilling the publishing/microfilming requirement by submitting an electronic copy of their work to the library should review the instructions on this web page.
Steps for Electronic Submission
1. Create a PDF of your dissertation if you don't already have a copy of your dissertation available in PDF format.
- Save all your work into one file and embed your fonts (and/or make sure you have used TrueType fonts before conversion). You may also wish to review the PDF Questions section on the submission website to be sure your pre-PDF fonts and formats will convert correctly.
- If you have additional items that can not be incorporated into the main file, you will be able to upload them as supplemental files.
- Students do not need to upload the department approval signature page; it is preferred that students refrain from uploading this page.
- There is a Word to PDF converter on the submission website. (If you have not already done so, you will be asked to create an account to use the submission website before being able to use the PDF converter).
2. Follow the instructions on the submission website. You will be asked to
- Create an account, using your email address and your preference of password, if you have not already done so.
- Choose the publishing option that you prefer.
- Accept the publishing agreement terms and conditions.
- Enter your contact information.
- Enter information about your dissertation, the name(s) of your advisor(s), and your dissertation abstract.
- Upload the PDF of your dissertation.
- Upload any supplemental files.
- Choose if you would like to have ProQuest/UMI file for copyright on your behalf.
- Decide if you would like to order any personal copies of your dissertation through ProQuest/UMI.
Note: Ordering bound copies through ProQuest/UMI is optional and is not in any way related to the process of delivering paper copies of your dissertation to the library for binding.
- Carefully review your submission. Check the PDF file and any supplementary files for accuracy and completeness. Check your contact information, your dissertation information, and your publishing option preferences.
- Pay ProQuest/UMI for your submission. As of Sept. 27, 2010, ProQuest/UMI no longer charges a base fee for publishing/microfilming when you submit your dissertation via their submission website. However, please note that the Copyright Registration option and the Open Access Publishing option both incur fees, as indicated on the submission website.
- Finalize your submission.
- Once you have submitted your work, a confirmation email will be sent to you and to the library.
Technical Assistance with the Submission Website
Office Hours and Location
- If you encounter any technical issues while using the submission website, please contact ProQuest Dissertations Support.
- OR call 1.877.408.5027 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST Monday through Friday (excluding U.S. holidays).
- The Technical Services Department is on the lower level of the library. The office is on the left at the bottom of the stairs.
- Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday–Friday.
Contact Cyndi MacCluggage for additional information.
Librarian Chat is currently unavailable. Please contact us at:
or submit questions online through Ask A Librarian.