Borrowing & Renewing Policies
For how long can I borrow a library item?
- Borrowing Chart – Mortensen Library
- Borrowing Chart – Allen Library
- These show loan periods, renewal limits, number of items allowed, and overdue fees.
- All patrons must present a valid University ID card to borrow from University Libraries.
- Circulating items are due on the date indicated in My Account, regardless of whether the item bears a date-due stamp or has been stamped with an incorrect date. Patrons are responsible for any items charged to their accounts.
- If an item is not on the shelf, ask to fill out a Missing Item Card at the Circulation Desk to initiate a search; you will be notified when the item is available.
- Before the due date, you may be able to renew items online through My Account. For renewal limits, see the Borrowing Charts for Mortensen and Allen Libraries. Some restrictions apply.
- Library materials can also be renewed in person, or by calling the library circulation desk (Mortensen – 860.768.4264 or Allen – 860.768.4491).
Fees – Overdue
- Official due dates for items checked out can be found online through My Account.
- Overdue items are as follows:
- $.10/day for books and scores.
- $.25/day for Allen Library CDs and LPs.
- $1 to $5/hour for limited circulation materials (e.g., reserves, laptops).
- The maximum overdue fine for regular circulating items is $10 per item ($15 for CDs, LPs, and hourly loans). Items overdue by 45 or more days accrue additional fees (see below).
- See the Borrowing Charts for Mortensen and Allen Libraries for full details about fees.
- Unresolved or excessive overdue fees will be sent to the bursar for collection at the discretion of the library.
Fees – Long Overdue (45 days) and Lost Items
- Lost items or items that are 45 days overdue will be billed additional fees for (1) the cost of replacing the item and (2) a non-refundable $15 processing fee (covers efforts to retrieve, search for, and replace item).
- Fees will be sent to the bursar for collection at the discretion of the library.
- If an item is returned, the replacement cost will be removed or refunded (up to one year after the billing date), but the $15 processing fee and the daily/hourly overdue fee will still be assessed.
Loss of Privileges
- Failure to return books may result in blocking or loss of privileges.
- Failure to follow University Libraries Policies may result in loss of privileges.
- Patrons with $20 or more in unresolved fees will be blocked from checking out and removing materials from the library. (Patrons may still use materials within the library.)
Materials to be used only within the library (see Borrowing Charts for Mortensen and Allen Libraries) for loan periods and overdue fees):
- Allen Library M2/M3 Collection
(Collected & Complete Works)
- Closed Stacks Materials
- Journals & Periodicals
- Rare books
- Reserve Materials
- Reference Materials
Borrowing from Other Libraries
- Interlibrary Services - Borrow materials from libraries across the country.
- CCALD/CLC Reciprocal Borrowing Program - Borrow materials from other academic libraries in Connecticut.
- University of Hartford students, faculty or staff may request a CCALD borrower's card at the Mortensen Library circulation desk that allows them to check out materials at the other participating institutions.
- Visitors from other participating institutions should obtain their CCALD cards from their own libraries before visiting the University of Hartford Libraries.
- Consortium Students – Borrowing privileges for University of Hartford students enrolled in courses at other Hartford-area colleges/universities (and vice versa).
Librarian Chat is currently unavailable. Please contact us at:
or submit questions online through Ask A Librarian.