Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to Search
Mobile Menu
Pages Within Get Help


Information about the Libraries

Where are the libraries?

Mortensen and Allen libraries are both located in the Harrison University Libraries in the Harry Jak Gray Cener. The general library, Mortensen, spans all three levels . Phone: 860.768.4264. Allen Library, the music/dance library, is on the lower level. Phone: 860.768.4491.

When are the libraries open?

Check library hours.

Do you have floor plans showing where books are located?

Yes, see floor plans for all three levels of the library.

Do you have photocopiers?


How do I borrow materials from the libraries?

University of Hartford faculty, staff, and students must present a current University ID to borrow materials from any of the libraries. Alumni may obtain borrower cards with proof of their status (available during office hours or by mail from Office of Alumni Relations). Members of the community may purchase guest borrower cards for $50 per year. For more information, see Mortensen Borrowing and Allen Borrowing.

Can I check out a periodical (journals or magazine)?

All of the libraries' periodicals must be used in the library. They cannot be borrowed. However, also see Can I do my research from home below?

How can I renew the books I've borrowed?

Do you have?

How do I find out if the libraries own a book I need?

Use the Libraries Catalog to search for books, scores, videos, sound recordings, etc.

How do I find out if the libraries have a periodical?

Use the Libraries Catalog to search for the title of a periodical we may own. Also, check eJournals locator for titles of online periodicals we may own.

Do the libraries have videos?

Both libraries have video collections (included in the Libraries Catalog). They also have viewing stations where students may watch videos in the building. For more information, see Mortensen Borrowing and Allen Borrowing.

What if you don't have what I'm looking for?

University faculty, staff, and students may request books, scores or copies of articles from periodicals we don't own through Interlibrary Services. This service is not available to non-University users, who should contact their local library for information about ILL. Call 860.768.4364 for additional information.

Do you have my textbook?

The libraries buy materials to supplement your textbooks and assist in your research. We do not buy textbooks. Occasionally, a textbook may be given to the libraries. You can search the Libraries Catalog, using the author or title, but be aware that the textbooks in the libraries are usually older editions. If the bookstore does not have your textbook, ask your professor to put a copy on reserve.

Assistance and Instruction

Is there someone I can ask for help?

Reference librarians are available in the libraries to assist you. You can visit or call Reference Services at Mortensen (860.768.4142) or Allen (860.768.4491), chat with an online librarian (use the blue box in the right column on this page), or email. Depending on how much information you need, the librarian may suggest that you to come in for more in-depth assistance.

Can I teach myself how to use the library more effectively?

We have an online Research Tutorial that introduces the basics of doing library research. You can do all or part of it, as you need.

What about having someone teach me?

Librarians will make appointments with University students, faculty, or staff for individual instruction. See Library Instruction. They will also schedule customized instruction for a class or another University group. Call Mortensen (860.768.4142) or Allen (860.768.4491). Non-University groups may visit the library by prior arrangement.

Other Services

Can I do my research from home?

Many library research tools are available through the web. The Libraries Catalog, the list of eJournals locator, and University Libraries web pages can be used by anyone on or off campus, regardless of University affiliation. Most of the libraries' other research databas locator can be used by anyone on campus, but require a student, faculty, or staff University email account to access from off campus. These restrictions are part of the subscription agreements we sign with information vendors. For more information, see Off-Campus Access.

How do I use Interlibrary Loan?

University faculty, staff, and students may request books, scores, dissertations, or copies of articles from periodicals we don't own through Interlibrary Services. Call 860.768.4364 for additional information. This service is not available to non-University users, who should contact their local libraries for information about ILL

My professor put material on reserve. What does this mean?

Assigned materials for a class are set aside in the library ("reserved") and loaned for brief time periods so that all students have equal access to them. Reserve materials may include books, lecture notes, problem sets, musical scores, CDs, DVDs, or VHS recordings. Most reserves are available for use in the library for two hours but the loan period is set by your professor. Overdue reserves are fined at $1 per hour. See Course Reserves.

Reserve articles are available online. You will need a University email account to login. See Off-Campus Access for more information to set this up. To view electronic reserves, see Mortensen Electronic Reserves or Allen Electronic Reserves.

How do I bind my thesis or dissertation?

Masters and doctoral students are required to bind their theses or dissertations as part of their degree requirements. Binding should be done through the Mortensen Library; this includes Hartt School students. See Thesis Binding for requirements, a checklist, and a bindery submission form that can be printed and submitted to the library. While the University Libraries accepts theses/dissertations for binding, binding is not done in-house. It can take 4-8 weeks for binding to be completed, so students should keep departmental guidelines in mind and submit items for binding as soon as possible to avoid unnecessary delays.

Can I borrow a laptop?

There are a limited number of laptop computers for use in the libraries. They can be borrowed from the circulation desks. You will need to present your University ID card. See Mortensen Borrowing and Allen Borrowing for our laptop usage policies.

Is there wireless network access in the libraries?

Holders of University email accounts have access to the University's wireless network from most areas in both libraries, as well as from the area immediately outside. Information about connecting to the network is available from the University's Wireless Information.

Can I do word processing in the libraries?

There are several computers (a technology "Users Branch") on the main level of Mortensen, staffed by Information Technology Services, which has a wide variety of software available. The Allen Library also has Macintosh computers (with dual boot to Windows) that has MS Office 2007. Printing in the Mortensen Users Branch and Allen is five cents per page.

General Questions

Do you have information about the city of Hartford and its history?

The University does not have a significant collection of local history materials. We suggest contacting Hartford Public Library or the Connecticut Historical Society.

Still have a question?

Fill out our online form or try our live chat box.