University Gallery


A University for Hartford,
A University for the World

A SHORT HISTORY OF THE

UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD





1955
The Gabriel Farm, the future campus, looking north from where the Auerbach Computer and Administration Center now stands.

1957
Governor Ribicoff signs the bill granting a charter to the University of Hartford as founders John Lee, Alfred C. Fuller, and Mrs. T. Merrill Prentice look on with Judge George Schwolsky.

1960
University Hall. First classes held in November, 1960. Dedicated November 18, 1960. Re-dedicated as "Hillyer Hall" May 2, 1976.

1960
First soccer practice on new campus.

1965
The campus, looking north. University Hall is in the center. Beyond it, to the right, the Fuller Music Center and, to the left, the Hartford Art School.

1965
The Gengras Campus Center, later renamed the Gengras Student Union, gets under way.

1966
A 15-foot shovel is used for the groundbreaking of Auerbach Hall. Helping with the digging are (top to bottom) Guy Beeman, Hugh Blanchard, Prof James Sullivan, Beatrice Fox Auerbach, Regent H. Martin Tenney, Vincent Coffin, Jack Myles, Charles Zimmerman, Orrin Kilbourn and Samuel Einstein.

1967
Inauguration of Archibald Woodruf (left) with outgoing Chancellor Vincent B. Coffin (center) and John G. Lee.

1968
Chancellor Archibald Woodruff with Beatrice Fox Auerbach and her daughters, Georgette Koopman and Dorothy Shiro, at the Auerbach Hall dedication.

1969
Among those at the groundbreaking for Mortensen Library were librarian John Mcgavern (left), President Woodruff (third from left) and William H. Mortensen (third from right).

1971
President Woodruff, Provost David Komisar (center) and William Mortensen move books from Auerbach Hall into the new library.

1977
President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg plunged into the University's new pool and into his new job.

1978
President Trachtenberg, Lauren Bacall and Lincoln Theater director Edwin Stein, at the theater's dedication.

1979
President Trachenberg unveils a plaque at opening ceremonies for United Technologies Hall, as Harry Gray looks on.

1981
Emerson String Quartet begins residency.

1982
Almost a student. Registered by students as Leo D. Canine, this basset hound was nearly enrolled in the class of 1982 at the University of Hartford. Leo's application bounced because someone noticed he had no zip code.

1986
Harry Gray (left), President Trachtenberg, and William Mortensen at the groundbreaking for the Gray Center.

1989
Humphrey Tonkin accepts the Presidency
.

1989
Museum of Political Life opens.

1992
Mayor Carrie Saxon Perry opens the Downtown Center at 99 Pratt Street, with the help of (left to right) Regent Arnold Greenberg, Chamber of Commerce President Timothy Moynihan, Regent Richard Gordon, President Humphrey Tonkin, Director Deborah Huntsman and Associate Dean James Narduzzi.

1997
New sign, new logo.

1998
The main Campus, with the Gray Center in the background.

 

Return to
Short History of University