Reference Assistance & Access
The primary purpose of the Reference Department is to help members of the University of Hartford community to identify and use sources of information. Reference Librarians instruct and assist users in the best means of locating information using the growing variety of resources available.
Availability, Hours and Services
- Assist with simple fact checking (such as directory look-ups) for any users.
- Assist in the use of databases and resources subscribed to or owned by the University Libraries.
- Make suggestions on developing search strategies.
- Recommend books or other materials that may provide information on the research subject.
- Note that librarians cannot conduct the research for patrons.
- While available to help, the amount of assistance time librarians can provide may be limited, particularly during periods of high demand.
- Since librarians cannot learn all of the systems on the open web, assistance in using specific Web information resources (other than those subscribed to by University Libraries) will be limited.
- Anyone using computers on the upper or lower levels of Mortensen will receive assistance when staff are available on those floors.
- Librarians cannot provide computer system or program assistance to users in the ITS Users' Branch.
- Priority is given to University users (who show their University ID).
Alumni and Guest Services
- Alumni, guests and visitors may receive general reference help.
- Reference librarians must give priority to current University of Hartford students, faculty and staff.
- Alumni and guests may receive only limited assistance.
- Due to licensing restrictions, most electronic databases may be used only within the University Libraries.
- Holders of University Libraries Alumni or Guest Borrower cards are not considered full University users.