Computers, Laptops & Wireless
Information Technology Services (ITS) computers are available for use in both the Mortensen and Allen libraries. In Mortensen Library, most are Windows desktops, with a limited number of iMac desktop computers capable of running both Mac OS X and Windows XP. In Allen Library, the desktop computers are all dual-platform iMacs. Mortensen Library also has Windows laptops; and Allen has both Windows and Mac laptops (see below). The University’s ITS department operates a Users Branch on the main floor of the Mortensen Library. It consists of Windows and Macintosh computers, with a variety of applications installed.
- Desktop Computers (located on all three floors of Mortensen and in Allen) are intended primarily for research purposes, with links to the Internet for access to the wide variety of Top Tools provided by the Libraries.
- C-Pods (Collaboration Pods), located on the main level of the Mortensen Library, are intended primarily for small group research purposes. The C-Pods consist of three keyboards, three mice, one CPU (full ITS functionality) and one 42" screen for viewing by up to three collaborators. Only one operates at a time, but each keyboard and mouse is live. The C-Pods are available on a first-come first-served basis; however, the University Libraries staff will regulate use by time or purpose, at its discretion, during busy times.
- C-Pod Rooms - L310 has a four-keyboard computer with chairs for eight collaborators. A keycard must be signed out for L310. L-311-314 have two-keyboard computers with a large screen adjustable mount monitor. The rooms are currently first com first served.
- Selected Libraries computers have Microsoft Office installed.
- Computers in the Allen Library also have Finale NotePad available.
- Laptop Computers and iPads may be checked out at the Circulation Desk of either library by current University students, faculty, or staff. A University ID is required. Laptops have a wide variety of software installed. They also have connections to the secure wireless network accessible in both libraries. See Mortensen and Allen Library laptop policies for further information. A University e-mail account is required for access to the wireless network. See Wireless Network Zones for additional information.
- Microform Readers are located on the lower level of the Mortensen Library. For assistance, please consult staff at Circulation desk.
- Networked Printers are available on all three levels of Mortensen and at the front of the Allen Library. Printouts are $0.05 per page. Cash is not accepted. University IDs with HawkCASH may be used to pay for printouts or copies. Funds may be added to a HawkCash account at the vending machine on the main level of Mortensen or in the Konover Center. The minimum which can be added is $1. The vending machine does not accept coins. Those who do not have a University ID card may purchase a copier card from the vending machine. The card costs $1. An additional $1 minimum is required for purchasing printouts or copies. A Color Printer is located on the main level of the Mortensen Library. Printouts are $1 per page.
- Networked Scanners that print, email and save images are available on each floor of the Mortensen Library and in the Allen Library (email and save only).
- Search a library source (i.e., a database or the catalog) – call the Mortensen Reference department (860.768.4142) or Allen Library (860.768.4491).
- Connect to a library source, general computer problems or email questions – call the University’s ITS Support line (860.768.5999).
- Access electronic resources from off campus – you need a University email account. See Off Campus Access for information.
Answers to Computer Questions - available on ITS web pages
- How To – information on the University’s wired and wireless networks.
- Utilities and Directories – includes information about the University e-mail system as well as e-mail and phone directories.
- Download Depot – provides access to useful free software, including virus scanners, web browsers, and other utilities.