The Allen Library houses music and dance materials and supports Hartt School programs. It was founded as the Hartt Library in 1938 and is now located adjacent to the main library on the top floor of the Harry Jack Gray Center's east wing (above Wilde Auditorium). Its holdings of over 85,000 items include approximately 22,000 books and bound journals on music and dance, 41,000 music scores, 23,300 sound recordings, 1,100 DVDs and videocassettes, and 400 print and electronic journals. Thousands of additional audio tracks are available streamed over the Internet (Listen Online). Selected materials from the Hartt Performance Library are also in the library's catalog.
- Support programs by offering appropriate and accessible collections
- Find aids, facilities, and services
- Aim hours at meeting user needs
- Trained and knowledgeable staff
- Provide services to help encourage intellectual inquiry and effective use of information resources
Public Services Responsibilities
- Handle Allen’s reference and research assistance, circulation, traditional and electronic reserves, PR, outreach, user guides, web pages, library instruction, and stacks maintenance
- Work with others to ensure appropriate, well-maintained audiovisual equipment, photocopiers, printers, computing, and networking
- Engage with the University and with Hartt School programs
Technical Services Responsibilities
- Assess collections and user needs
- Acquire new or donated materials
- Ensure effective cataloging, processing, binding, and preservation of music and dance materials
- Coordinate projects to improve “findability” of materials or make new collections accessible
- Create and maintain Allen Library policies, procedures, standards, and activities, often in consultation or partnership with colleagues in the University libraries and at the University.
- Allen staff members are collectively responsible for Allen’s operations, services, collections, and facilities. Each staff member specializes in a certain area, but duties frequently intersect. Individuals collaborate daily as a team to offer a seamless, cohesive performing arts library program.
- Allen Library Facebook page
- Hartt Composers Database
- MERL (Music Education Resource Library) materials are housed in The Hartt School, and are searchable through a database located on the University Libraries site. Please contact Warren Haston for more information