1. You must sign in on our visitor log when you arrive and sign out when you leave.
2. Researchers must provide a valid photo ID to sign in (UHart ID, driver’s license, passport, etc.).
3. No food or beverages are permitted.
4. Bags, purses, backpacks, laptop cases, and heavy coats may not be worn or used while conducting research in the archives. These items can be secured in a library locker during your visit or placed elsewhere in the archives at the staff’s discretion.
5. Pens are not permitted in the Archives; only graphite pencils may be used.
6. Notes must be taken on loose leaf paper (Archives can provide notepaper upon request), and must be handed over to the Archivist before leaving to ensure items have not fallen in between pages.
7. Laptops, tablets, and other electronic devices are permitted as long as they do not interfere with the safe use of the archives’ materials and are not used to take unauthorized photographs or recordings.
8. Outside materials may be allowed with Archivist’s approval and must be inspected while signing in and before signing out.
9. Materials must be handled with care and kept in their original order. Do not attempt to alter, mark, repair, or rearrange items. Gloves must be worn when handling photographs.
10. Open only one folder at a time and keep materials flat on the table.
11. Do not rest objects on any research materials. If you need assistance holding an item in place, proper weights can be provided.
12. Do not pass materials to other researchers working with a different collection.
13. Items can be scanned or photocopied with the Archivist’s permission, as long as they are for research purposes which fall under Fair Use (17 US Code § 107).
14. Researchers are responsible for determining if their use of materials is considered Fair Use and, if necessary, for obtaining all of the proper permissions for the reproduction and/or use of any archival materials.
15. Researchers are solely responsible for ensuring that their use of the archives’ materials is compliant with any local, state, or federal laws.
16. Researchers may not record or distribute information that is confidential which includes, but is not limited to, student records and social security numbers.
17. If you have any questions or need any help, please ask an archives staff member for assistance.
I agree to follow the rules and procedures listed above, as well as any additional directions given by the Archives’ staff during this visit and all future visits to the University of Hartford’s Archives and Special Collections.
Print Name: ______________________________________________________